turboprop

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Chevrolet Traverse
  • Interests:Bicycling, camping, hiking

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:02 PM

I purchased a 2011 Chevy Traverse on July 1, 2011.
I've installed Yakima roof racks on three previous cars, and thought it'd be easy to find the right Yakima rack to install on my new Traverse.
Boy, was I mistaken.
Quick detour into a rant: I love that GM has come back from bankruptcy, and I really love the Traverse so far (except for the gas mileage...grrr.)
But it's interesting the ways that GM has gotten cheap as they come back from bankruptcy. Not producing beautiful brochures about their car models? Okay, I understand it. Not providing new car buyers with complimentary touch-up paint? Seems a bit petty, but sure, why not save the money. Installing completely useless factory roof tracks that serve very little purpose other than aesthetics? Just plain weird.

Anyway, as I checked on Yakima's website about info on how to install a Yakima system onto a Traverse, I was puzzled. The only options it gave were for a "naked roof."

How can the roof be naked, I thought, when those factory side tracks are there?

Well, as several other topics on this forum have noted, those factory side tracks do allow you to put the Chevy after-market roof rack onto the Traverse.

That seemed fine for most users, but I have all these Yakima bike & ski rack attachments that wouldn't fit on the Chevy roof rack. So that didn't seem to be the right option for me.

Yakima suggested using Q-towers and Q-clips to attach Yakima round bars to the roof of the Traverse. But if you look at where those would attach, it'd be in the door jambs for the front and rear doors.

That seemed silly to me for a few reasons:
  • I didn't want those clips clamping down on a the roof and interior of a brand new-vehicle
  • The distance between the doors that would support round bars was, max, 24 inches. That's not only a very small base to support a Yakima SkyBox or RocketBox cargo container, it'd also force the Traverse to carry the cargo boxes WAY forward on the car, which would really screw with the aerodynamics and the center of gravity.
  • The Q-towers and Q-clips from Yakima are really expensive.

Next, I went to a very good rack dealer, Rack Solid in Santa Monica. They spent a lot of time trying to figure out a solution, but ultimately suggested drilling new holes into the roof of the Traverse, and then installing Yakima's Landing Pad 7 bases, which would hold Yakima Control Towers, which would hold the round bars that I already owned.

That's probably the smartest, safest, most solid way to install a Yakima system atop the Traverse. But I didn't want to do that because:
  • It was gonna cost well over six hundred dollars for the drilling and installation of the Yakima parts.
  • I didn't relish having holes drilled into my brand-new car

This was getting very frustrating.
I kept looking at Yakima's website and catalogs to see if I could come up with a solution for simply attaching my Yakima stuff to the rack of a crossover SUV that should be made for attaching all kinds of roof racks.

In the meantime, I purchased the optional after-market steel C-channels that Chevy makes that fit within the factory side tracks (or "pockets") on top of the new Traverses. Readers in other topics on this forum have mentioned that even Chevy Parts Dealers seem unaware that this part exists. But it does. It's part # 19244264. It's not cheap, about $125 suggested retail. You can find it cheaper online.

The part comes with instructions.

I installed these C-channel tracks onto my roof.

After the C-channels were installed, I kept trolling through Yakima's website, looking for some solution.
At first, I thought installing the Landing Pad 1, Landing Pad 4, or Landing Pad 5 might work. But the nutplates holding those bases down against the car were too small to be contained by Chevy's c-channels.
Next, I considered removing the C-channels, drilling into them, attaching the Yakima nutplates underneath the C-channels, then re-installing the C-channels into the factory side rails. I think this could work, but I didn't like the physics of how they would hold.
I looked at Yakima's current version of Rail Grabs with medium claws or small claws. But just eyeballing it, it looked like the claw might fit against the C-channels, but the base part would be an awkward fit.

Then, eureka!

Looking at old, discontinued Yakima parts, I came upon the EZ Rider Towers.

It looked like the "claw" from the EZ RIder Tower would sufficiently "grab" the C-channel rail. What's more, it looked like the flared base would sit on top of the plastic part of the Traverse's factory side rail.

I purchased the EZ Rider Towers (again, they're discontinued, so if you can find them, the cost should be $130 or less).

You assemble two EZ Rider Towers on each end of the round bars before you put them on top of the car.

When I fit the EZ Rider Towers into the C-channel/factory side rails, it seemed to fit nicely. As I tightened them up, the EZ Rider Towers gripped the C-channel and factory side rails with three points of contact (which is what Yakima always suggests):
  • The claw grabbed the C-channel
  • The bolt from the tightening knob "bit" into the plastic factory track on the inside edge of the car
  • And the flared base snugged down onto the exterior edge of the plastic factory side rail

As I attached the round bars, it all seemed to lock in real solidly. I installed the round bars 34" from each other, and they're spaced really nicely for support.

When I did the ultimate Yakima test, of pushing up on the round bars and jerking them back and forth hard enough to make the car move, it passed the test.

I attached a heavily loaded SkyBox and a Steelhead bike mount to the rack.

I took both on a 540-mile trip, and they didn't budge.

So while neither Yakima nor Chevrolet would officially recommend using the Yakima EZ Rider Towers on the 2011 Chevrolet Traverse, it works for me and seemed to pass the test on a big road trip.

Attached File  #1a Factory track atop Traverse.jpg   37.1KB   188 downloads

Attached Files

2011Chevy Traverse 1LT Owner

Loose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free acccount.

#2 OFFLINE   SSTODD

SSTODD

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:37 AM

Nice work!, I took another route. I bought a 4x6 utility trailer for under $400 and mounted all my THULE bars and brackets to it for hauling all my kayaks alot lower and behind the truck. The cost of THULE or YAKIMA equipment for the variety of vehicles and mounts is too much so I wanted to use what I had.

#3 OFFLINE   vanoyen

vanoyen

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Pontiac Aztek
  • Interests:fishing, kayaking

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:07 PM

Wow - I am amazed. Thank you so much. I am about to purchase a Traverse. I have a Hullavator by Thule, and it supposedly can work with round Yakima bars (though not ideal).

It seems I must attempt to follow your lead. Is it safe to assume that your sunroof does not hit the rack?

thanks again.

#4 OFFLINE   neustkg

neustkg

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Chevy Traverse

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:36 PM

Thanks for the info.

I have a Yakima rack system with Q towers for a Pontiac Grand Prix (2000). After searching and reading this, I looked up EZ rider towers on my local craigslist. There are a set for sale for $50. I'll probably buy them as a friend is giving me their Yakima ski rack attachment. I'll probably put my Q towers (still unopened in the box) on craigslist for the same price I pay for the EZ rider towers.

Do the EZ rider towers require any special clips? Or do they come as is and happen to fit the traverse rails?

#5 OFFLINE   turboprop

turboprop

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:52 PM

Thanks for the info.

I have a Yakima rack system with Q towers for a Pontiac Grand Prix (2000). After searching and reading this, I looked up EZ rider towers on my local craigslist. There are a set for sale for $50. I'll probably buy them as a friend is giving me their Yakima ski rack attachment. I'll probably put my Q towers (still unopened in the box) on craigslist for the same price I pay for the EZ rider towers.

Do the EZ rider towers require any special clips? Or do they come as is and happen to fit the traverse rails?

Hi Neustkg--

No, the EZ rider towers don't require any special clips. They come as is, and usually grab side rails that are slightly elevated from the car's roof. My Traverse does not have elevated side rails, but as I explained above, they work nicely on my rig. Hopefully, they'll work well for you too.

Good luck....

#6 OFFLINE   neustkg

neustkg

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Chevy Traverse

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:38 PM

Hi Neustkg--

No, the EZ rider towers don't require any special clips. They come as is, and usually grab side rails that are slightly elevated from the car's roof. My Traverse does not have elevated side rails, but as I explained above, they work nicely on my rig. Hopefully, they'll work well for you too.

Good luck....

But C-Channels are still needed if my vehicle didn't come with them, right?

#7 OFFLINE   turboprop

turboprop

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:24 PM

But C-Channels are still needed if my vehicle didn't come with them, right?

Yes, you would need to install the c-channels in the tracks. Without the lip of the c-channel, there's nothing for the EZ tower claw to grip.

#8 OFFLINE   BigBlueTraverse

BigBlueTraverse

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 324 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:19 AM

Just FYI They don't sell the C-channels separately as far as I have seen. They only come with the OEM rack kit.

#9 OFFLINE   turboprop

turboprop

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:56 PM

Just FYI They don't sell the C-channels separately as far as I have seen. They only come with the OEM rack kit.

Chevy dealers should sell the C-channels separately, or can order them. But what's weird is that a lot of Chevy parts places don't seem to even know this part exists.

Here's what I wrote in my original post about finding C-channels:

In the meantime, I purchased the optional after-market steel C-channels that Chevy makes that fit within the factory side tracks (or "pockets") on top of the new Traverses. Readers in other topics on this forum have mentioned that even Chevy Parts Dealers seem unaware that this part exists. But it does. It's part # 19244264. It's not cheap, about $125 suggested retail. You can find it cheaper online.

#10 OFFLINE   BigBlueTraverse

BigBlueTraverse

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 324 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:17 PM

yep your right they started selling them separate ha ha,..... know I know too.

#11 OFFLINE   turboprop

turboprop

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:37 PM

Wow - I am amazed. Thank you so much. I am about to purchase a Traverse. I have a Hullavator by Thule, and it supposedly can work with round Yakima bars (though not ideal).

It seems I must attempt to follow your lead. Is it safe to assume that your sunroof does not hit the rack?

thanks again.

#12 OFFLINE   turboprop

turboprop

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:39 PM

Nope, the sunroof does not hit the rack.

So far, biggest problem is that when the rack is unloaded, it whistles a bit at high speeds. I'm going to try and move the rack about 5 inches back and add a faring to stop the whistling.

I'll post again when I get around to doing that.

#13 OFFLINE   BigBlueTraverse

BigBlueTraverse

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 324 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:27 PM

Yes the whistling was an issue with the GM Rack during development. That is why the OEM one looks like a foil now it reduced drag and helped the fuel millage to.

#14 OFFLINE   Asmitty114

Asmitty114

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 traverse

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

quote name='turboprop' timestamp='1311195732' post='4327

I've installed Yakima roof racks on three previous cars, and thought it'd be easy to find the right Yakima rack to install on my new Traverse.
Boy, was I mistaken.
Quick detour into a rant: I love that GM has come back from bankruptcy, and I really love the Traverse so far (except for the gas mileage...grrr.)
But it's interesting the ways that GM has gotten cheap as they come back from bankruptcy. Not producing beautiful brochures about their car models? Okay, I understand it. Not providing new car buyers with complimentary touch-up paint? Seems a bit petty, but sure, why not save the money. Installing completely useless factory roof tracks that serve very little purpose other than aesthetics? Just plain weird.

Anyway, as I checked on Yakima's website about info on how to install a Yakima system onto a Traverse, I was puzzled. The only options it gave were for a "naked roof."

Well, as several other topics on this forum have noted, those factory side tracks do allow you to put the Chevy after-market roof rack onto the Traverse.

That seemed fine for most users, but I have all these Yakima bike & ski rack attachments that wouldn't fit on the Chevy roof rack. So that didn't seem to be the right option for me.

Yakima suggested using Q-towers and Q-clips to attach Yakima round bars to the roof of the Traverse. But if you look at where those would attach, it'd be in the door jambs for the front and rear doors.

• I didn't want those clips clamping down on a the roof and interior of a brand new-vehicle
  • The distance between the doors that would support round bars was, max, 24 inches. That's not only a very small base to support a Yakima SkyBox or RocketBox cargo container, it'd also force the Traverse to carry the cargo boxes WAY forward on the car, which would really screw with the aerodynamics and the center of gravity.

Next, I went to a very good rack dealer, Rack Solid in Santa Monica. They spent a lot of time trying to figure out a solution, but ultimately suggested drilling new holes into the roof of the Traverse, and then installing Yakima's Landing Pad 7 bases, which would hold Yakima Control Towers, which would hold the round bars that I already owned.

That's probably the smartest, safest, most solid way to install a Yakima system atop the Traverse. But I didn't want to do that because:
  • It was gonna cost well over six hundred dollars for the drilling and installation of the Yakima parts.

I kept looking at Yakima's website and catalogs to see if I could come up with a solution for simply attaching my Yakima stuff to the rack of a crossover SUV that should be made for attaching all kinds of roof racks.

After the C-channels were installed, I kept trolling through Yakima's website, looking for some solution.
At first, I thought installing the Landing Pad 1, Landing Pad 4, or Landing Pad 5 might work. But the nutplates holding those bases down against the car were too small to be contained by Chevy's c-channels.
Next, I considered removing the C-channels, drilling into them, attaching the Yakima nutplates underneath the C-channels, then re-installing the C-channels into the factory side rails. I think this could work, but I didn't like the physics of how they would hold.
I looked at Yakima's current version of Rail Grabs with medium claws or small claws. But just eyeballing it, it looked like the claw might fit against the C-channels, but the base part would be an awkward fit.

Then, eureka!

It looked like the "claw" from the EZ RIder Tower would sufficiently "grab" the C-channel rail. What's more, it looked like the flared base would sit on top of the plastic part of the Traverse's factory side rail.

I purchased the EZ Rider Towers (again, they're discontinued, so if you can find them, the cost should be $130 or less).

You assemble two EZ Rider Towers on each end of the round bars before you put them on top of the car.

When I fit the EZ Rider Towers into the C-channel/factory side rails, it seemed to fit nicely. As I tightened them up, the EZ Rider Towers gripped the C-channel and factory side rails with three points of contact (which is what Yakima always suggests):
  • The bolt from the tightening knob "bit" into the plastic factory track on the inside edge of the car
  • And the flared base snugged down onto the exterior edge of the plastic factory side rail

As I attached the round bars, it all seemed to lock in real solidly. I installed the round bars 34" from each other, and they're spaced really nicely for support.

When I did the ultimate Yakima test, of pushing up on the round bars and jerking them back and forth hard enough to make the car move, it passed the test.

So while neither Yakima nor Chevrolet would officially recommend using the Yakima EZ Rider Towers on the 2011 Chevrolet Traverse, it works for me and seemed to pass the test on a big road trip.

[/quote]

#15 OFFLINE   Asmitty114

Asmitty114

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

How long are your cross rails?
Boy, was I mistaken.

Then, eureka!

[/quote]

#16 OFFLINE   turboprop

turboprop

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

@ASmitty- I'm 90% sure my Yakima round bars/cross bars are 58 inches long. Might be 66", but I think they're 58".

#17 OFFLINE   Asmitty114

Asmitty114

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:37 PM

Thanks!

#18 OFFLINE   mlicht

mlicht

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:44 AM

Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to share this. I have been struggling to find a way to put my Yakima system on the Traverse too. This is far better than anything i came up with!!!

#19 OFFLINE   Denverdingers

Denverdingers

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:08 PM

I did this and it works. Thanks for trouble shooting it for me. I was just looking into doing this and almost went to a shop for help. 2 bikes and a rocket box.
I have the factory rack on there, so the C channels were already there.
I purchased the EZ Rider towers on ebay for $50.
I purchased 1inch x 60 inch bars at Home Depot for $40.
I have fork mounts and bolted them right to the bar
Cam strap to tie down the rear wheel.
All set up, it almost looks like the real thing. 37 inch bar spread is the maximum I get on the box and I just left the factory rack up there as a back up.
Bicycle and box are way up there, so I carry a folding stool for a better angle. I am 6'1.
Car with stuff on top has a profile of maybe 9 feet. Wow! But the bikes are out of the camper. Yea!

Thanks again for the step by step.

Edited by Denverdingers, 19 September 2012 - 09:12 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   turboprop

turboprop

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

@ Denverdingers --- you're welcome.  Glad I could be of help. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·