#21 OFFLINE   Rocky

Rocky

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Chevy Traverse 2009

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:19 PM

Chevy Traverse 2009 28,000 miles... Check engine light has been going on a lot.. Brought it to the dealer said they fixed it...came back on three more times. Each time i called on star to check it.. 3 different things wrong ..Cam Shaft Sensor..Then the fuel delevery system..then something else.. brought it back again... i need a new timing chain.. A timing chain with 28,000 miles!!! My wife drives this car about 10 miles a day.. at very low speeds..maybe 40 mph tops. cant understand why this happened.. No complaints about the way the dealer is handling the situation... Its in now for the replacement... im just shocked that its the timing chain... if that thing snaped the whole engine would have been destroyed.. I always buy American cars.... im disapointed.... as i look around here this timing chain is a common issue... i wont even tell my friends or family this happened...

Loose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free acccount.

#22 OFFLINE   bohica55

bohica55

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Traverse

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:34 PM

I have a 2011 with 80,000 yes I drive and at 50,000 I had the cams,tensioners and chains replaced. I have already replaced the fuel pump and now the rack and pinion is making noise and its not covered by warranty. Its uses tons of oil but they say its's normal I call BS but not much can be done about it but keep and eye on it.

My rack and pinion went out at 35,000 on my 2010 Traverse.  Dealer changed it and it lasted another 1,000 miles and went out again.  The second time around, they figured out that the low side of the power steering pump was not sending enough fluid through the system.  They changed the rack and the pump again and no more problems.  Don't believe there is any bulletin out for this, but they covered it under my extended warranty.

#23 OFFLINE   phillywill

phillywill

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Traverse LS
  • Interests:Travel, Photography

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:31 PM

Our Timing Chain in our 2010 Chevy Traverse went and our regular neighborhood mechanic didn't want any parts of doing this repair.  We contacted our Chevy dealer, and we were quoted $2650.00 plus tax by the dealer to replace the timing chain.  After reading all the posts about the timing chain problem on the 2009 Chevy Traverse, my wife contacted GM.  We were told that the extra warranty offered is by VIM number only, no exceptions.  Our 2010 VIM was not on the list, so we had to pay to have it repaired.  They gave us a claim number anyway, and we gave it to the dealer when we took the Traverse in for the repair.

Our argument to GM was the fact that we had all our maintenance/service performed (except the last oil change) by the same dealer.  We did every and all service/maintenance they suggested.  So, the fact that GM had a record of all maintenance/service, and we did everything required "by the book" for maintenance, it was not anything we did that caused the timing chain fault.

While the vehicle was being repaired, we received a telephone call from the dealer telling us that GM and the dealer would forego most of the cost and our final bill was $800 plus tax.

This was going to be our last GM product, but now I have been "WOWED" by GM/Chevy!  They went way above and beyond, and I am again a Chevy customer for life.  I'm trading in my Toyota Tacoma next year, and I was 99% sure I was getting another Toyota, but now it will be a Chevy Truck.

Thanks GM and Bryner Chevrolet

#24 OFFLINE   KR nj

KR nj

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Chevy Traverse

Posted 18 January 2016 - 03:11 PM

Same issue on Chevrolet traverse 2010 (in fact 09/09), with the check engine light on at 83,000 miles. I thought it was covered by the warranty special coverage up to 120,000 miles / 10 years, but the dealer and GM said my  VIN number is not on the list and thus not covered...and repair are about 3,500$! 

The special coverage from GM, bulletin 11340, concerns not only Chevy traverse 2009 but also Buick enclave, Cadillac models, GMS Acadia, Saturn models...and not my chevy traverse produced in 2009 ? I don't understand GM customer service policy. 

I will submit a claim to GM. 

#25 OFFLINE   SusanU

SusanU

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Traverse

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:27 AM

I drive a 2011 Traverse and my engine light came on just before Christmas. I received a letter from Chevrolet saying I had a special extended warranty on my Power Steering Pump up to 120,000 which causes the engine light to come on and whining in my steering wheel. Also in that letter it spoke of a timing issue which causes rough idling. I was having all these problems so I figured after the holidays I would take it in and have it fixed. Well .... BAD NEWS! Yes, I have these issues and yes they are replacing my Power Steering Pump (less than a year ago my car did not "meet" their qualifications but 10 months later it does) but my rough idling and engine light are because my timing chain is going out. The service guy asked me how often a change my oil - I said when the light comes on "Change Oil Soon". He says oh you can't go by that, GM doesn't have it set to the proper time and it will let you drive up to 8000 miles before the light comes on, that's probably what caused this issue. What? Why would GM do that. These lights are suppose to help the owner stay on top of things. Then it dawns on me .... To make more money. Of course, most people are going to go by the change oil light and timing chains are only covered to 100,000 miles. So about the time the warranty ends is about the time you will have timing chain problems. My car is at 111,000 so it makes perfect sense. Chevrolet had a special extended warranty up to 120,000 miles on 2010 and before but mine is a 2011 so I get to pay for my own repairs, at least $2300 but could be more if they ever figure out what the Traction Control issu is. I have been having Traction Control issues also but the dealership doesn't know what causing that. I hate this car. I have always had Nissans - Pathfinders. I'm going back my last Pathfinder had 190,000 miles on it and I never had anything but regular maintenance done on it and one sensor replaced. I don't understand why GM can't make an SUV that can do that. No one at Nissan ever told me don't follow the lights because Nissan can't set them properly. What a nightmare!!!
  • KR nj likes this

#26 OFFLINE   SusanU

SusanU

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:55 PM

Well to let everyone know my claim with GM was denied. Even though my car is having the exact same issue as the recalled vehicles mine isn't covered because my VIN number isn't on the list. What a crock. The really funny thing is my neighbor came home yesterday with a 2016 Traverse. They told me the were test driving it. I told them "Take it back QUICK!!!". Anyway I told them about my issues and I was very happy to see it went back to the dealership today. I'm not sure what they are getting but it won't be a GM. Yippee!!

#27 OFFLINE   jeldridge

jeldridge

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:06 PM

We have 2011 Traverse with 63,000 Miles.  We have been diligent in changing the oil every 3-5k miles.  We got the P0008 code and now the dealer says our timing chain is stretched.  This makes no sense.  How does a timing chain stretch at 63,000 miles?  Our dealer called GM and GM told them that they would cover 55% of the repair cost leaving us with 45% or about $1,400 since our powertrain warranty has expired.  Our dealer said it would take about 3 days to change the timing chain.  It sounds like these vehicles have timing chain problems.  We live in California and we have received numerous letters from lawyers about this vehicle potentially being a lemon.  Does anyone have any advice/opinion on what we should do?  Has anyone heard of traverses being lemons?  We have had other issues as well; power steering pump replaced, two motor mounts changed, water pump replaced, air bag recalled, and seat belts recalled.   

#28 OFFLINE   wickertz

wickertz

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:37 AM

I have a 2010 Traverse with 65000 miles. The check engine light is on and timing chain codes are coming up. I checked with GM, my dealer, everyone and it is NOT covered under powertrain warranty .  I'm trying to work with the dealer- I'll let you know how that works out. But it looks like the bill will be close to $4000 to fix!!!!!!!!

#29 OFFLINE   lrcarver68

lrcarver68

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Traverse

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:15 AM

I have a 2013 Traverse and my timing chain just went bad and the whole motor seized up.  I see a lot of older models in this forum that it has happened to but not the 2013 and newer.  It will be covered under my warranty but I am just wondering if this is still a problem or if this was an anomaly for this year of Traverse.  They are not yet sure the extent of the damage to the engine because it won't even turn over.  I have had all regular maintenance done and all oil changes done on time.  There were no warning signs it just completely shut down while on the highway.  If anyone has any insight to this please let me know,

#30 OFFLINE   amacgyver

amacgyver

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:12 AM

On August 23rd, 2016, I took my 2010 Chevrolet Traverse to have my radiator fluid checked and an engine light diagnosed.
The dealership explained the codes indicated that the timing chains had worn prematurely and would need to be replaced at the expense of approximately $2800 including taxes. I authorized the water pump work and asked them to hold off on the Timing belt replacement as it was an inconvenient time for our family. After some initial research I found references to several issues with the timing belt wear for the engines used in the Traverse. I also had my vehicle diagnosed at my local garage who found the bulletin #11340B: Special Coverage Adjustment for Timing chain wear Jun 29th 2012. I contacted the canadian call center who looked and found no coverage for this in Canada and said that I would be on my own to cover all the repair costs. I waited until December 2016 to have the work done, under my own expense, the total came to 3087.48 with tax as there was some extra part expenses during the rebuild. The milage was extremely low for a timing chain issue (132121 KMs, or 82096 miles) engine codes at the time of diagnoses was P0008 P0009 P0011 and P0013 It really seems that this issue is a manufacture defect and should be covered in both US and Canada as all vehicles in Canada are built in the US. I keep getting the run around from GM to cover this issue they are now telling me the part replacement codes are not matching the covered parts, well Duh! I would hope you replace them with better parts!, So I’m posting this as a warning to others, The value of these vehicles (Traverse, Enclave and Acadia) in the used market is extremely low due to this issue that GM will not cover under the extended warranty program, they are being very selective in who they cover from what I’ve read some people are getting the repair done, I have not!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·