29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mickeyboat

mickeyboat

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:46 PM

Have read many posts about folks having timing belt/chain issues with the Traverse engine especially when the Traverse first came out. Does anyone know at what point in the production line GM permanently solved this issue? Since this engine is used in a number of vehicles, it would seem GM would have to have solved it by now. I just purchased a new 2011 Traverse and sure hope to avoid this issue. Were there any warning signs before failure to watch for?

Loose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free acccount.

#2 OFFLINE   TM8743

TM8743

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:49 PM

Have read many posts about folks having timing belt/chain issues with the Traverse engine especially when the Traverse first came out. Does anyone know at what point in the production line GM permanently solved this issue? Since this engine is used in a number of vehicles, it would seem GM would have to have solved it by now. I just purchased a new 2011 Traverse and sure hope to avoid this issue. Were there any warning signs before failure to watch for?

#3 OFFLINE   TM8743

TM8743

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:50 PM

I have a 2009 Traverse with 30,000 miles on it and having the same problems but dealership told me "New GM products can use up to 1 quart oil for every 2000 miles" ? They also advised me it was 4 quarts low when i first took it in for problems with transmission slipping and was rolling forward after put in park.
They changed the oil and said it was exactly on full and that was my problem but no one knows where the 4 quarts of oil went even service manager ? Brought home and 2 days later it started makes clattering noises on a cold start . Took it back in and now they say needs timing belts changed ? I have seen many problems on this but no where that it was actually resolved ?? Hope you have better luck with yours.

#4 OFFLINE   SSTODD

SSTODD

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:17 AM

Have read many posts about folks having timing chain issues with the Traverse engine especially when the Traverse first came out. Does anyone know at what point in the production line GM permanently solved this issue? Since this engine is used in a number of vehicles, it would seem GM would have to have solved it by now. I just purchased a new 2011 Traverse and sure hope to avoid this issue. Were there any warning signs before failure to watch for?

Just change your oil every 3-5k miles with a very good oil and filter and do watch if its using oil (my 2011 is not using any). I will not trust the dash oil life monitor system and just watch the miles between changes. The new oil must be a "DEXOS" GM authorized oil which means synthetic new SM or SN API rated oil basically. Pennzoil Platinum has worked very well in many tests so far and the new Fram EXTENDED GUARD filter is rated highly. ONLY THE EXTENDED GUARD GOLD BOX, it is about $8-9 each.

#5 OFFLINE   BigBlueTraverse

BigBlueTraverse

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 324 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:33 AM

Checking your oil every week in these would not hurt. At least check it every two weeks for sure. I was raised to check it every week and it has saved me in the past.

My first car was a 76 Camaro and the oil just dropped like a stone in one week. Turned out my timing chain gears had fallen apart. The had a stupid plastic coating on them back the old days. Saved me loosing the engine and the car back then I was a poor student. Just had to change the timing gears out and drove it for another 99,999 km. I often wonder how many times that odometer had rolled in that cars life. I rolled it twice when I had it.

I will say almost any engine my be damaged when 4 quarts low. The only hold 5 to 5 1/2 so at 4 it's basically a dry engine.

I only top mine up with about a quarter of a liter of oil for an entire oil run of 5000 KM or 3107 miles.

I've had zero engine issues.

#6 OFFLINE   jjhlewis

jjhlewis

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:22 PM

I have a 2009 Traverse with 30,000 miles on it and having the same problems but dealership told me "New GM products can use up to 1 quart oil for every 2000 miles" ? They also advised me it was 4 quarts low when i first took it in for problems with transmission slipping and was rolling forward after put in park.
They changed the oil and said it was exactly on full and that was my problem but no one knows where the 4 quarts of oil went even service manager ? Brought home and 2 days later it started makes clattering noises on a cold start . Took it back in and now they say needs timing belts changed ? I have seen many problems on this but no where that it was actually resolved ?? Hope you have better luck with yours.

I have noticed the same problem with my 2010 Traverse. It moves forward one in park and our transmission is slipping. DId they repair your problem or give you an idea as to why it was doing that?

#7 OFFLINE   TM8743

TM8743

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:54 AM

I have noticed the same problem with my 2010 Traverse. It moves forward one in park and our transmission is slipping. DId they repair your problem or give you an idea as to why it was doing that?

Traverse is back at dealership now replacing timing chains (has been 2 weeks) . Talked with service manager yesterday and was advised after they put the engine back in and started it for the first time engine made really bad noises ? My next question to him after reading all the problems was why don't ya'll just buy it back from me. Don't get me wrong i did like the vehicle but will be leary every time i get into it now especially with my grandkids. Sounds like needs new engine . My check engine light never came on at all thru all of these situations. They never addressed the transmission problem except for saying it was low on oil ? Not transmission fluid but oil causing the transmission to slip . I just don't buy into that . The sales manager called me back late yesterday and asked if i could come in that he thought we could work something out and i quote " I think you will be very pleased". Not sure what that means but hoping for the best and will not be beat down or lose money on this. Not sure what will take place now but will report back after visit to dealership this afternoon . Oh and was advised GM only pays for rental for so long and then dealership has to assume cost and it was going to cost them now . So who knows what is going to take place could be nice ending or long battle.

#8 OFFLINE   DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2008 Jeep Commander Hemi

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:40 AM

Tagging along.

#9 OFFLINE   whit.95

whit.95

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Chevy Traverse

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:13 AM

Traverse is back at dealership now replacing timing chains (has been 2 weeks) . Talked with service manager yesterday and was advised after they put the engine back in and started it for the first time engine made really bad noises ? My next question to him after reading all the problems was why don't ya'll just buy it back from me. Don't get me wrong i did like the vehicle but will be leary every time i get into it now especially with my grandkids. Sounds like needs new engine . My check engine light never came on at all thru all of these situations. They never addressed the transmission problem except for saying it was low on oil ? Not transmission fluid but oil causing the transmission to slip . I just don't buy into that . The sales manager called me back late yesterday and asked if i could come in that he thought we could work something out and i quote " I think you will be very pleased". Not sure what that means but hoping for the best and will not be beat down or lose money on this. Not sure what will take place now but will report back after visit to dealership this afternoon . Oh and was advised GM only pays for rental for so long and then dealership has to assume cost and it was going to cost them now . So who knows what is going to take place could be nice ending or long battle.

Please tell me what happened with this, I am in the same boat but they refuse to buy the truck back or get me out of this deal.

#10 OFFLINE   mowerman

mowerman

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Current Vehicle:LT-AWD

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:24 PM

I have a 2011 with 80,000 yes I drive and at 50,000 I had the cams,tensioners and chains replaced. I have already replaced the fuel pump and now the rack and pinion is making noise and its not covered by warranty. Its uses tons of oil but they say its's normal I call BS but not much can be done about it but keep and eye on it.

#11 OFFLINE   bradbrickstone

bradbrickstone

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Traverse

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:53 PM

You are not having the same problem as the other chap, if you are having oil consumption issues. Engines, with a 2008 build date, are having premature timing chains failures, they are chains, not belts.

If you vehicle was 4 quarts down, I would think oil is not being changed frequently plus oil level is not being checked, in between changes.

#12 OFFLINE   bradbrickstone

bradbrickstone

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Traverse

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:08 PM

Honestly, driving the vehicle into the shop with 4 quarts of oil gone would be reason enough for GM to decline warranty coverage. If the "4 quart low" has been documented on their repair ticket, you may be in for a fight, if a new motor is needed. Good luck to you, hope you are able to get coverage from Chevy.

#13 OFFLINE   anthony0822

anthony0822

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Traverse

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

I have a 2009 with 52000 miles. Two weeks ago i got the P0017 code. Took it to dealer. They did something but not sure since my wife handled that. Last week we got another code. P0346. After ordering parts and driving a loaner for 8 days, its fixed. This is what is written on my invoice, (at no charge covered by warranty).

CUSTOMER STATES SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT IS ON - - CAUSE: LEFT SIDE CYLINDER HEAD HAD EXCESSIVE END PLAY - - J0511 HEAD, CYLINDER LEFT BANK REPLACE.

FOUND DTC P0356-- CHECKED CAMSHAFT END PLAY - - CAMSHAFT END PLAY AT .030 - - GM ALLOWS FOR .016 INTAKE CAMSHAFT ACTUATOR HAS PLAY AND CHAIN IS LOOSE - - CALLED TAC (CASE # 71-1082111180) - - WAS TOLD TO CHECK RIGHT SIDE CYLINDER HEAD - - OK - - REPLACED BANK2 (L/S) CYLINDER HEAD, BOTH ACUATORS AND TIMING CHAINS AND TENSIONERS.

The dealer ordered and replaced the following parts: gasket kit, head kit, gasket, 2 actuators, chain pkg, bolt, oil, filter, coolant, sealant, gasket, fluid. That's everything on the invoice. Just got it back yesterday. I hope this fixes it. I'll update on this soon.

Edited by anthony0822, 07 July 2012 - 09:34 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   northern one

northern one

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Current Vehicle:09 Chevy traverse

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:00 PM

Hello, i have been following this topic on the traverse for a while now. I have a 09 traverse with 57000 km on it and very worried about this issue. I was in the dealer getting a oil change and asking the service writer if GM is doing anything about this issue. He said they have extended the warranty on the timing chains to 10 year 200,000 km. Can anyone please verify this for me?

#15 OFFLINE   Chevrolet Customer Service

Chevrolet Customer Service

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Traverse!!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:31 AM

If you would like to send me a private message with your VIN, I can see what I can find out. Normally, I do not have access to vehicle information outside the US, but there are times I get lucky. LOL

If you don't feel comfortable providing me the information over the internet, you can call GM of Canada. Their toll free telephone number is 1-866-263-3777. Their hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 7:30am to 11:30pm EST, Saturday, 7:30am to 6:00pm EST. They will be able to explain the "Special Coverage" further.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/pr...-statement.html

#16 OFFLINE   northern one

northern one

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:07 PM

Thank you very much. All I was told by the dealership that a bulletin was issued on Jun. 29th by GM that extended the warranty on the timing chains for a period of 10 years or 200,000km. He gave me a bulletin # which I will post when I get home. I will send you my Vin # when I get back home.

#17 OFFLINE   Hey-Moe

Hey-Moe

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:59 AM

northern one...please don't forget to post the bulletin #. It will help many people here.

Thanks.

#18 OFFLINE   northern one

northern one

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:40 PM

The dealer used the term "special policy #"
The special policy # is 11340
Not sure if this helps anyone but it better help me if my chain goes in my traverse when my warranty is up. Not sure if Michelle can verify this special policy # or anyone else has come across this.

#19 OFFLINE   northern one

northern one

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:41 PM

Not sure if this helps anyone but it better help me if my chain goes in my traverse when my warranty is up. Not sure if Michelle can verify this special policy # or anyone else has come across this.

#20 OFFLINE   Chevrolet Customer Service

Chevrolet Customer Service

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Traverse!!

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:50 PM

The "Special Coverage" is for your vehicle if you experience the premature wear with your timing chain. This means if you experience this within the 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge. Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/pr...-statement.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·