Custom Search

Photo
- - - - -

Timing Chain Replacement & Valve Timing Actuators?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   steve8650

steve8650

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Traverse LS

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:39 PM

Need to have the Timing Chain Replaced on my 2009 Chevy Traverse which will cost about $2,000 at the dealership.  Someone is telling me the Variable Valve Timing Actuators should be replaced at the same time for another $800-900.  Do these go hand in hand or is it just a nice thing to do since they are already working on the timing chain?

Loose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free acccount.

#2 OFFLINE   Elkhorksun

Elkhorksun

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Traverse

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:04 PM

Usually with a labor intensive job like replacing the timing chain it can be a good idea to replace anything in the area as the cost is largely for the parts. In the past with my vehicles I would change out the water pump along with the timing chain as it was a great deal less costly than doing the water pump replacement alone at a later time.

#3 OFFLINE   Jillymom

Jillymom

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Traverse

Posted 30 January 2018 - 07:29 PM

I have a 2010 traverse that needs the timing chain replaced at 81,000 miles I also had issues about 1.5-2 years ago with low power and the car would just shut off even in the high speed lane. Tried to call Chevy today hoping after spending 7k in 4 years they would work with me but alas no they will not

#4 OFFLINE   Servin

Servin

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Chevy

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:22 PM

I wish I knew this a while back, Elkhorksun. My mechanic is usually good with warning me about this kind of stuff, but that time he didnt. So I had to pay for almost the exact same amount of manual labor twice within a month or so.

#5 OFFLINE   mcumbee@gmail.com

mcumbee@gmail.com

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Traverse LTZ

Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:11 PM

These are the worst of the worst. The dealer in Aiken SC has already repaired this and in 13 months has to be done again..I bought this car used from a chevy dealer in lexington SC and it has been the worst vehicle I have EVER owned. We may be approaching 8000.00 in repairs including what the limited warranty did . It is such a ridculous number I will NEVER own another GM vehicle again. I am looking down the throat of another 2000.00 repair bill. Though many people apparantly can afford to keep trashing their income like this I cannot. I feel like chevrolet (the corporation) has sold me defective parts on this last go round and the dealer is using this as a technicality to jump the warranty. This vehicle even had to have the rack and pinion replaced also. The sensors on this thing are a crumbling mess and they (auto industry) wants us to trust their sensors to actually control the cars...they have lost their minds.

These vehicles and their cam/actuator/position sensors systems are defective and they GM should be replacing them with parts that will not crumble on you.

The other thing that my new mechanic has told me still does not make sense to me. Due to the timing advancing when the engine gets hot I can drive it once then if I shut it down it will not crank for several hours..it shows low battery?? but the alternator

battery,wiring,everything checks out as ok. My other mechanic finally says starter and I replaced it,..well it seemed to solve the problem with the cranking but now it is happening again, same symptoms..he read the computer  and it shows tons of misfires on 4 cylinders and this new mechanic does not think the starter is the issue.. This car has me so confused and I am no idiot when it comes to cars...so anyway..so much for the rant but would like to know if anyone else has had this symptom and what the end result was?? Mine is a 2009 Traverse LTZ...I think the Z means that you get even more stuff to only break down.

Edited by mcumbee@gmail.com, 10 February 2019 - 02:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·