Custom Search

Photo
- - - - -

Timing Chain Replacement & Valve Timing Actuators?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   steve8650

steve8650

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Traverse LS

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:39 PM

Need to have the Timing Chain Replaced on my 2009 Chevy Traverse which will cost about $2,000 at the dealership.  Someone is telling me the Variable Valve Timing Actuators should be replaced at the same time for another $800-900.  Do these go hand in hand or is it just a nice thing to do since they are already working on the timing chain?

Loose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free acccount.

#2 OFFLINE   Elkhorksun

Elkhorksun

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Traverse

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:04 PM

Usually with a labor intensive job like replacing the timing chain it can be a good idea to replace anything in the area as the cost is largely for the parts. In the past with my vehicles I would change out the water pump along with the timing chain as it was a great deal less costly than doing the water pump replacement alone at a later time.

#3 OFFLINE   Jillymom

Jillymom

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Traverse

Posted 30 January 2018 - 07:29 PM

I have a 2010 traverse that needs the timing chain replaced at 81,000 miles I also had issues about 1.5-2 years ago with low power and the car would just shut off even in the high speed lane. Tried to call Chevy today hoping after spending 7k in 4 years they would work with me but alas no they will not

#4 OFFLINE   Servin

Servin

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Chevy

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:22 PM

I wish I knew this a while back, Elkhorksun. My mechanic is usually good with warning me about this kind of stuff, but that time he didnt. So I had to pay for almost the exact same amount of manual labor twice within a month or so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·