19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Toddzilla67

Toddzilla67

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:39 PM

Just wondering if we have owners here that are washing their Traverse by hand and how they're getting the roof clean. Are you having to use a long-handled brush or are you able to reach with a wash mit?

Thanks in advance.
2010 Traverse LTZ AWD
Silver Ice Metallic, Titanium Leather
DVD, Nav, Skyscape Sunroof, Towing
Born 11/09

Loose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free acccount.

#2 OFFLINE   rbarrios

rbarrios

Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:09 PM

Just wondering if we have owners here that are washing their Traverse by hand and how they're getting the roof clean. Are you having to use a long-handled brush or are you able to reach with a wash mit?

Thanks in advance.

Ive been driving for 20 yrs now.. and I have NEVER used a car wash to get my car cleaned....
Just something I have to do myself....

Now-- since I still dont have my traverse (on order)..
Ill tell you what I do on my Trailblazer...
I open the drivers front door- and stand on the sill- and reach as far as I can.
then the rear door and reach
then the passenger front- reach
then the passenger rear- reach
and then climb on the bumper and rach the rear portion.
I at times use the cross rails to help myself...

The roof- on hot days-- is usually the last part that I dry--- no one will ever see the roof- except you.
so unless theres something very unique about the traverse-- it should be similar...

but- I cringe when I see people at self serve car washes--- and theyre using that broom looking thing with soap coming out the end...
Ive seen way too many people use that broom thing to scrub tires- and mud etc from their vehicles...
then you show up with your new vehicle-- and use it--- with all that debris in the brooms fibers...
this debris could very well be adding all those scratches you see on peoples paint.

same goes for people who get a black car for example..
and they get the car waxed/detailed... or they do it themselves...
and they use orbital buffers...

That new black paint-- looks horrible-- swirl marks all over -- you can see where the buffer left its marks..
I have seen new cars-- with paper plates still on the vehicle-- that once the sun hits it-- you can see all those scratches--
most likely from a novice detailer...

#3 OFFLINE   Toddzilla67

Toddzilla67

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:32 PM

Thanks for the tips--I will use them when the time comes.

Great insight in your reply. You and I are about the same age and (probably) equally anal about how we take care of our cars. I did work for a good detail shop in my early twenties and learned alot about how to care for automotive paint. I notice the same oddities you do with how others care for their cars and cringe the same way.

I just spent 18 hours this weekend rehabbing the white paint on our 99 Regal GSE (washing/drying/some minor touch-up/light rubbing compound/Meguiar's #7 Glaze/Meguiar's Gold Class wax all with a random orbital buffer) to get rid of the mag-chloride stains. I polished the wheels and detailed/rotated the tires, too.

My wife (of 14 years) used to have zero appreciation for keeping the paint up until we drove the car into a Chevy dealer just before the 4th of July. The salesman that assisted us commented on how well the car looked, then I told him it had almost 112K on it. He couldn't believe it and raved some more. He must have really needed to make a sale! But when we drove away my wife said to me that she was glad that I take care of our vehicles the way I do.
2010 Traverse LTZ AWD
Born 11/09

#4 OFFLINE   rbarrios

rbarrios

Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:30 AM

Thanks for the tips--I will use them when the time comes.

Great insight in your reply. You and I are about the same age and (probably) equally anal about how we take care of our cars. I did work for a good detail shop in my early twenties and learned alot about how to care for automotive paint. I notice the same oddities you do with how others care for their cars and cringe the same way.

I just spent 18 hours this weekend rehabbing the white paint on our 99 Regal GSE (washing/drying/some minor touch-up/light rubbing compound/Meguiar's #7 Glaze/Meguiar's Gold Class wax all with a random orbital buffer) to get rid of the mag-chloride stains. I polished the wheels and detailed/rotated the tires, too.

My wife (of 14 years) used to have zero appreciation for keeping the paint up until we drove the car into a Chevy dealer just before the 4th of July. The salesman that assisted us commented on how well the car looked, then I told him it had almost 112K on it. He couldn't believe it and raved some more. He must have really needed to make a sale! But when we drove away my wife said to me that she was glad that I take care of our vehicles the way I do.

You know- I like to wash my cars. once a week. now with drought around here-- every 2 weeks....
One of the reasons why I like Gold colored cars... they hide the dust...
I have a pewter Trailblazer... and ordered the traverse in gold mist metallic.

I have so much stuff to do now-- that I dont wax my daily drivers. I wash and make the car look nice...
Like you- my Trailblazer does not look like it has almost 150,000. Looks so good.
Of course- if you run your hand across the hood-- you can tell its not as smooth as it should be... but like I said--
I simply wash the vehicles--- and then proceed with all the other stuff I have to do-- (run the dogs, mow yard, groceries, etc etc... and with baby on the way... ohhhhh man... Ill have even less time.... I just turned 36).

#5 OFFLINE   tpb1

tpb1

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:27 PM

A little info on washing.

I use a very soft brissle brush on a handle. These are available at boat supply stores. They don't scratch finishes. I partially dry with a soft old bathroom towel. Then to get the water spots off I mix about 1 to 2 cups of very cheap white vinager with about 1/2 gallen of water. I wipe the car and windows till dry. This results in a shine that looks like it was waxed. To remove the excess water from the wheels and front grill I use my leaf blower.

Why vinager? Water spots come from calcium which is a salt. Vinager is a very mild, mild acid. Acid neutralizes the calcium. If you live in areas where salt is used in winter and you get those white marks on shoes, this also works.

Ted

#6 OFFLINE   deadduckwalking

deadduckwalking

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:03 PM

A little info on washing.

Why vinager? Water spots come from calcium which is a salt. Vinager is a very mild, mild acid. Acid neutralizes the calcium. If you live in areas where salt is used in winter and you get those white marks on shoes, this also works.

Ted

Thanks for the tips.

do you guys recommend using turtle wax products (wax, tar and bug remover). I've read in other forums that their chemical is too strong for the paint.

#7 OFFLINE   Toddzilla67

Toddzilla67

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:10 PM

I use 3M Rubbing Compound (only when needed), and Meguiars products--wash liquid, clay bar, #7 Sealing Glaze, and Gold Class Liquid Wax with a random orbital buffer. I don't necessarily have any issues with Turtle Wax products, but only because I haven't used them.
2010 Traverse LTZ AWD
Born 11/09

#8 OFFLINE   horsegirl90210

horsegirl90210

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:00 PM

Does anyone have suggestions how to remove the adhesive from pinstripes and decals? I peeled them off, but now I need to get off the sticky part.

#9 OFFLINE   kenlee99

kenlee99

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:02 PM

Does anyone have suggestions how to remove the adhesive from pinstripes and decals? I peeled them off, but now I need to get off the sticky part.

WD40 on an old sock. If the goo is too thick then try WD40 with a plastic scraper. Wash the area and apply wax when finished.

#10 OFFLINE   ironjoey

ironjoey

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:18 AM

Has anybody come across a good way to clean the recessed wheel lug nut area? I am a bit tired of using small swabs and trying to squeeze my fingers in there. I am a bit anal about my car as well, but its getting a little old. I have recently resulted in removing the wheels so my fingers have room to get in the lug nut area and clean it properly. I normally wash by hand, but every once in a while go through an automatic car wash, but ONLY the brushless kind. (I had a friend borrow my car once after I first started driving-too many years than I want to admit- and he thought he would be nice and take my car in to a car wash as thanks for letting him borrow it. The car went in one end pristine, and came out the other end with a bent license plate, missing hubcap and paint scrapes. Never used another one after that).

I just found a lug nut brush on amazon that I hope will work. A product call Carrand 92019 Cleanmates Lug Nut Brush. I chose this one over one of the other ones out there, because this one is not foam. I'll post some results after I try it out, if anybody is interested.

#11 OFFLINE   rbarrios

rbarrios

Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:08 PM

I use 3M Rubbing Compound (only when needed), and Meguiars products--wash liquid, clay bar, #7 Sealing Glaze, and Gold Class Liquid Wax with a random orbital buffer. I don't necessarily have any issues with Turtle Wax products, but only because I haven't used them.

I have found that for reaching the roof- its a little diff than my Trailblazer.
I can reach most of the roof- except the rear most 1 foots worth.
I have to sort of reach the area around the antenna from behind the vehicle.
From the top I have to place the mit on the roof- and place my hand on the end closest to me--- and move the mitt back and forth..
my way of extending my reach.
then again- these are areas no one will ever see.... so im not too worried about water spots or dirt spots. in this area.

#12 OFFLINE   ironjoey

ironjoey

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 04:44 AM

Has anybody come across a good way to clean the recessed wheel lug nut area? I am a bit tired of using small swabs and trying to squeeze my fingers in there. I am a bit anal about my car as well, but its getting a little old. I have recently resulted in removing the wheels so my fingers have room to get in the lug nut area and clean it properly. I normally wash by hand, but every once in a while go through an automatic car wash, but ONLY the brushless kind. (I had a friend borrow my car once after I first started driving-too many years than I want to admit- and he thought he would be nice and take my car in to a car wash as thanks for letting him borrow it. The car went in one end pristine, and came out the other end with a bent license plate, missing hubcap and paint scrapes. Never used another one after that).

I just found a lug nut brush on amazon that I hope will work. A product call Carrand 92019 Cleanmates Lug Nut Brush. I chose this one over one of the other ones out there, because this one is not foam. I'll post some results after I try it out, if anybody is interested.

Update- Got that lug nut brush in the other day. Tried it out and worked really well. I'm happy with finally having an easier way to clean the recessed lug areas. You guys probably already know about it, but its new to me. Now if I can just find a brush to clean out my dirty mouth :censored: !

#13 OFFLINE   rbarrios

rbarrios

Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 03:03 PM

Update- Got that lug nut brush in the other day. Tried it out and worked really well. I'm happy with finally having an easier way to clean the recessed lug areas. You guys probably already know about it, but its new to me. Now if I can just find a brush to clean out my dirty mouth :censored: !

as im cleaning the rim- I stick a rag in there- and move in in a semi circle.
I do this to absorb water that sits there---
If you dont- many times as you move the vehicle- water trickles out- and leaves marks on your otherwise clean rim.

#14 OFFLINE   VB - LTZ

VB - LTZ

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:08 AM

Check this site out http://www.meguiars.com/video/ they have some great how to videos I have used Meguiars products for years on a couple show car's and trucks I have had with good results. You can use what ever product you like but the how to videos are well worth checking out.

:shades: Steve
2010 Chevy Traverse LTZ Exterior Gold Mist Metallic Interior Cashmere / Ebony, DVD Rear Seat Entertainment W/ Toucscreen Navigation Rearview camera display, Bose, Voice Recognition, Remote control, wireless Headphones, 115 power outlet, XM, Trailering Package, Dual Skyscape Sunroof, Chrome 20's, Chrome Assist Steps, 3 MM Front End Protection[/font]

#15 OFFLINE   wild bill

wild bill

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 07:14 PM

Thanks in advance.

JUST WASHED AND WAXED MY TERVERSE. FOR THE ROOF I USED A THREE STEP STOOL. IT GIVES GOOD
BALANCE. JUST MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT LEAN THE STOOL AGAINST THE TRAVERSE. I USE MOTHERS
WAX.
WILD BILL

#16 OFFLINE   gilbert18812

gilbert18812

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:07 AM

its new thing for me

#17 OFFLINE   stratman

stratman

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 chevy transverse

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:54 AM

I just bought a new 2012 traverse. The finance man offered me a package of under coating, seat protection and paint protection. They swear by it but of course they sell it. I always thought the clear coat was enough but what about the
undercoating? I can wax and buy cans of seat protection for alot less then was offered. ($1000.00) Whats a good rule for waxing?

#18 OFFLINE   Hey-Moe

Hey-Moe

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:27 AM

I've been told that all cars come with the undercoating already. It's done at the factory when the car is assembled. They are just trying to squeeze some more $$$ out of you.

#19 OFFLINE   nmbis

nmbis

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Tra LS awd
  • Interests:performance vehicles

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:49 PM

Good tips on washing. I have had good luck with a special long handle brush for cleaning the roof. Just noticed that my local Costco has a brush collection designed for cars...you might check it out.

#20 OFFLINE   carlynx

carlynx

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Traverse

Posted 18 January 2017 - 04:13 AM

I use a folding aluminum step tool/platform to reach the roof of my ride.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·