Toddzilla67

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:10 AM

Good morning all.

Edited:

I just learned Cadillac will be offering their Lambda here in a few months, a "redesigned" SRX. I also saw there is one at the Denver Int'l Auto Show while reading through the flyer that was in the Denver Post. I'm supposed to go tonight--we'll see what Mother Nature says about that.

So, I go to Cadillac.com and see that the base SRX will have the DOHC 3.6 and that a 300 horsepower DOHC 2.8 turbo will be offered, too. Even though it doesn't appear to be a diesel, the 2.8 seems like a better option to me than the base 3.6. I suppose a $50K starting price entitles a person to have a choice, too. But will this engine find its way into (at least) the Traverse?

At this point I don't know how a small (5.0-5.3 liter) V-8 hasn't been mentioned (as far as I know) for the Lambda platform. Maybe GM is hell-bent on keeping the V-6 and the 6-speed slush-o-matic in these to help attain the upcoming fuel mileage standards or have one up on Ford and Toyota for fuel economy. But after driving one of these 5000 pound Traverses I don't think the engine/transmission combination is going to be much fun to drive. I like to enjoy my drive and have power at my command. I don't think the Traverse will like seven passengers for performance or fuel economy either.

We have been driving a 1999 Buick Regal GSE for the last 4 years and it currently has 108K miles on it. This car is rated at 17 MPG city and 27 MPG highway with the L67 3.8 liter OHV supercharged V-6 (240 HP and 260 lb/ft torque) and 4T65E 4-speed automatic transmission. My wife sees between 17 and 19 in town in this 3600 pound car. With the whole family in the car (450 pounds of humans) we have achieved as high as 34 MPG (average) on a 150 mile trip averaging 70-75 MPH on I-25 (not wind aided either). Even when the trunk is packed full (whether it's luggage or 200+ pounds of camping gear, coolers, and food) we see 30 MPG. The supercharger works well to help the car up hills with minimal throttle input and puts no more than about 3.0-3.5 psi boost through the engine in those situations. Supercharging uses power to turn the pulley and rotors, but also gives the driver more power without the extra heat that a turbo will create under the hood. Yes, premium fuel is recommended, but the extra couple of bucks a tank is worth it to me.

In my opinion, the Traverse needs to have peak torque at about 2800-3000 RPM rather than 3400 RPM so that the vehicle will move quicker from a dead-stop. I think supercharging (not turbocharging) this engine and reworking this transmission are good ideas without making the Traverse a gas-guzzlling hot-rod. Horsepower could stay about the same, torque could increase by about 40 lb/ft, and fuel economy should not suffer.

Have a great morning! Thanks for reading my 2 cents.

Todd
  • Elijah_Hib, Suzanna_Bow, Nikita_Mug and 2 others like this
2010 Traverse LTZ AWD
Silver Ice Metallic, Titanium Leather
DVD, Nav, Skyscape Sunroof, Towing
Born 11/09

Loose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free acccount.

#2 OFFLINE   Toddzilla67

Toddzilla67

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:29 AM

Wow, three and a half months and over 500 views without a single response. I will be from here after known as the "Thread Killer"!
2010 Traverse LTZ AWD
Born 11/09

#3 OFFLINE   rbarrios

rbarrios

Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 12:12 PM

Wow, three and a half months and over 500 views without a single response. I will be from here after known as the "Thread Killer"!

I think engine improvements will come next year--- a boost in HP and torque....
Same thing was done to the Trailblazer-- about 2 or 3 yrs into the model run they boosted HP from 275 to 291 or so... similar for torque...
Unless theyre waiting for the Traverse redesign to make big engine improvements... I thought I read 2012 is when the lambdas get design changes.

#4 OFFLINE   wdgtech

wdgtech

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:57 PM

The 3800 series engine from GM is one of my favorite engines they've offered. My father had a supercharged 3800 in
his Park Avenue and that car had some seriously nice power and luxury too.

I think the prev person was correct, since the Traverse is still fairly new it might be a while before other engine and transmission options.

Let them work out the kinks in a Caddy first. On a personal note, I do not find the engine and tranny lacking
in my 2LT and I used to drive an Avalanche (1500) daily before the Traverse.

- Peter
Peter
2010 Chevy Traverse 2LT Ext Red Jewel Tint Coat, Int Cashmere Leather / Ebony, Rear Seat Audio and Climate Controls, Rearview camera display, BOSE, XM, OnStar, Trailering Package, Dual Skyscape Sunroof.

#5 OFFLINE   Toddzilla67

Toddzilla67

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:20 AM

So far we've been happy with ours, but we haven't put the Traverse through its paces in the mountains or at 75-80 MPH freeway speeds and going up some of the hills between here and Denver. We'll probably be using the manual-shift option when negotiating these sections of Interstate 25 or going (literally) up Interstate 70 west of Denver (5000'-6000' of overall climb to the summits of Loveland and Vail Passes).

Glad to hear you're liking yours so far as well.
2010 Traverse LTZ AWD
Born 11/09

#6 OFFLINE   odypilots

odypilots

New Traverse Member

• Traverse Member
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 12:06 PM

I'd like to see GM do like Ford has with the Flex's Eco Boost option. I don't know what the real world mileage differences between the Flex's engines, but the govt fuel usage numbers are real close. With the boost, the high altitude towing improves a bunch.
2010 1LT AWD w/ tow package

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·